[Scribus] Scribus for Mac OS X

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Sat Jan 27 18:51:47 CET 2007

2007/1/27, Michael Crisci <macrisci at gmail.com>:

> Andreas and Jon:
>    Thank you so much for helping me install Scribus for the Mac on OSX.
> However, I am done banging my head against the wall for installing it. I've
> tried for over a week to get it to run, and it ALWAYS stops at building the
> font cache. It sits there for over an hour and then finally quits. I have
> tried to find out why (with your help)  through the Console and Activity
> viewer, and have gotten no results that I could understand. I am not as
> competent as both of you with the Command Line Interface, nor do I know
> exactly what to look for to fix my problem. Some of your directions are
> unclear to me (but would probably be a snap to understand if I knew more
> Unix commands or the CLI. Mu Unix experience is very limited.) I had hoped
> Scribus could be the DTP solution that I was looking for (like Open Office
> is and Abiword for Word Processing), but I must have been mistaken. I do not
> give up easily, nor let programs get the best of me, but I just don't
> understand WHY this program refuses to even let me see what it supposed to
> do!
>
>    If you are willing to help me "offline" to get this sucker to work, let
> me know.

Before going off list, I suggest we review this a bit. I am saying this as a
plain Mac user with no knowledge of the UNIX command line. But I did install
Scribus on Macs before and although I had a few issues, it ended up smoothly
with the kind help of Martin Costabel.

1. Can you describe the machine, including RAM and CPU
2. What version of OS X
3. When you say you installed X11, did you use the original Developper Tools
CDs that came with your machine
4. Did you try installing Fink and have Fink install Scribus for you

Plus, it might be useful for us to know whether you have an enormous
collection of fonts on that machine since this seems to be an issue for
Scribus while building the font cache.

5. You could try removing a fair amount of fonts (you'll put them back
later)
6. Did you try to install the Aqua version following all the instructions,
including the place of the Lib files, etc.

If you are using OpenOffice and not NeoOffice (which is the Aqua version of
OO.o and runs Aqua natively) it means you are running OO.o under X11. Does
that work?

I am confident we can have your install properly running on a Mac, be it PPC
or Intel. I will not be the right person to help you out with all the steps
although I have done it myself. Martin is far more knowledgeable than I am
and Andreas as well, as well as others on this list.

But we don't give up very often on such an issue!

Again, I am confident we can make it work.

Cheers!

Louis

p.s. I like the quote about "your dog" ! You are even more lucky! You have
this mailing list! :)

Michael Crisci