[Scribus] compress_PDF.pl script doesnt work with transparency ?

Julian Robbins julian.robbins
Tue Jan 23 13:58:16 CET 2007

Tino Schwarze wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:59:06AM +0000, Julian Robbins wrote:
>
>> However, when I came across a PDF created in Scribus with transparent
>> images (PNGs or TIFFS), saved in PDF 1.4 format, the script makes nice
>> small  PDF's still, but  the transparency in the images is removed and I
>> just get a large black areas where the transparency should be.
>>
>> Is there any way to shrink the PDF's and maintain transparency? I think
>> the problem is with the pdftops function in the script.
>>

> Yes, pdftops cannot handle transparency correctly. In fact, Poscript
> cannot handle it and this is used as an intermediate format.

Hi

Thanks for that. I was coming round to thinking that PS couldnt support
transparency.

OK. If I wanted to take this Scribus file and 'flatten the images', to
get rid of the transparency, is there a way to do it without having to
alter each image individually? IE a method in Scribus directly or
another tool?

Cheers

Julian