[Scribus] OT kerning (or tracking) specs.

John R. Culleton john
Sat Jan 20 03:13:03 CET 2007

I have a customer who has a designer who has specified the setting of certain
text headings etc. with the terminology:
"kerning 250"
or
 "kerning 40"

I am not familiar with this particular terminology. Neither is my InDesign
consultant.  It looks like 100 may be normal letter spacing but I am not
sure. In any case I would call this tracking rather than kerning.  Since it
isn't TeX and isn't InDesign teminology I assume it is Quark-speak.

Any Quark folk on list who have seen this kind of specification before?   If
so can you explain what is desired in the two instances shown above? Are
these 100th parts of an em or an en?  I hate to look ignorant to my customer
but my experience is primarily in TeX where fiddling with letter spacing is
more or less anathema.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting