[Scribus] License of scripts

avox avox
Fri Jan 19 00:56:47 CET 2007

jon-73 wrote:

> I am not a coder nor am I a lawyer, but what if someone put his
> invention of editing methods (the script/extension, bound to scribus)
> under a restrictive license AND the scribus team decides (by chance)
> that this function would be useful to be implemented into scribus?
> Will this be a problem of copyright infringement? Do they HAVE to pay
> for the idea?

It will only be a copyright infringement if the Scribus team copies his code
instead of writing their own code.
You have to separate "copyright" from "patents". With patents you can
protect ideas, but AFAIK that doesn't work with software in Europe.
Copyright doesn't protect ideas but the written form. Rewriting the same
ideas with your own words is legal, and even citing if it's limited to small
parts and falls under fair use. That's why I don't think all scripts for
Scribus fall under the Scribus copyright.

/Andreas