[Scribus] gs question

John Jason Jordan johnxj
Mon Jan 15 20:04:42 CET 2007

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:39:37 -0500
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:

> Frank Cox wrote:
>> I can pipe data from gs to lpr (the default printer) like this:
>>
>>  gs -sOutputFile=\|lpr
>>
>> How can I pipe data to a different printer instead of the default?
>>
>> lpr -Plp2 doesn't work.

Did you try "gs -sOutputFile=\|lpr2"?

> I'm using FC6, and with the current CUPS, I can print a PS file with lp:
>
> lp -dprintername filename

I also use CUPS, and if your printer is installed in CUPS the lp and lpr commands work just fine. Note that you must specify the printer precisely by the name that CUPS uses for it. Since CUPS know what port the printer is on, you don't have to specify the port in the lp or lpr command.

However, I think there is supposed to be a space between the -d (for lp) or -P (for lpr) and the printername.

lp -d printername
lpr -P printername

Maybe I'm wrong about the space, but I always use a space and it always works.