[Scribus] Work stuck in Scribus...

avox avox
Sat Jan 13 10:01:24 CET 2007

Branko Vukelic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to do my first commercial job using Scribus 1.3.3.7 and
> Inkscape
> 0.44.1 (on Linux). So far, I have created artwork using Inkscape managed
> separate it using both 4 and 2 plates (I needed both0 versions). The
> artwork
> makes use of gradients, most of which have transparent nodes.
>
> Now, when I import the artwork into Scribus, I can edit the imported
> colors
> and convert them to CMYK. I can also export PDFs v1.4.
>
> So, I have a few questions.
>
> 1. Is outputting PDF 1.4 safe? Or I should perhaps use 1.3 instead? The
> client
> wants to be able to take the same file to different printers of his own
> choosing, so I want to be sure it would print in most cases (if not all).
>
> 2. If I am to use PDF 1.3, how do I get rid of preflight error messages
> about
> transparency?

You could try creating a PDF1.4 file and run "ps2pdf13 myfile14.pdf" on it.
I haven't tried it but the docs say it handles some transparency settings,
but not transparency groups or softmasks (of course with latest GS 8.54
this docs could be outdated).
Check the docs in Ps2Pdf.html and try different settings (and report back
if you have success :-) )

/Andreas