[Scribus] (OT) Printing PDFs

Peter Nermander peter.nermander
Sun Jan 7 22:59:53 CET 2007

> If I use Kpdf it works properly, that is, it prints with "RIP once,
> print many." This is an important fact, because it means that accessing
> this feature from Linux must be possible. Kpdf is using the drivers I
> have installed via CUPS using the latest PPD file. However, when I use

I am not 100% sure how your files get printed, but access to printer features like that are normally done in postscript by using the setpagedevice command in postscript.

For example enabling duplex printing with tumble (instead of turn) can be done by
<</Duplex true /Tumble 1>> setpagedevice

There are also things like
%%OID_ATT_PRINT_QUALITY OID_VAL_PRINT_QUALITY_NORMAL
to set the print quality (options are normal or draft in this case). These are comments in the postscript but are interpreted by the printer before ripping.

(These above are from the manual to our old Xerox printer at work)

Which features the printer provides are described in the PPD file, but I guess features can be manually enabled by using a filter for lp to insert the needed code.

So, what you need to do is not look into the documentation for your PDF viewer but look into the documentation for your printer.

/Peter