[Scribus] using multiple fonts within one line of text?

John Beale beale
Sat Feb 24 08:50:35 CET 2007

I am a relative newcomer to Scribus. I have looked but I cannot figure this
out from the online help files. I am using Scribus 1.3.3.7 on Windows XP.

I am designing a DVD jacket cover. On the back I must fit a large amount of
text into a small space, and I need multiple font weights on one single
line. It is the sort you have probably seen on movie posters:

producer PRODUCER NAME director DIRECTOR NAME composer COMPOSER NAME

...and so forth. I put the plain text into the "story editor" window but
the "Style" selector boxes in the left-hand column seem to apply to an
entire line of text at once. In this case, I need to alternate styles for
almost every word on a line.

I seem to be able to do this by highlighting a single word and choosing a
new font (eg. Arial Narrow Regular vs. Arial Bold) but there is no visual
confirmation of this in the edit window, and when I place the cursor within
the word, the selection box does not show the correct font for that word.

Is there a good way to do this kind of font selection, or is this something
that Scribus is not designed to do?  Thank you for any tips!

John Beale
Beale Corner Productions
www.bealecorner.com