[Scribus] EasyPose - OpenSource Profissional Imposition

celsojr celsojr2007
Mon Aug 27 23:13:58 CEST 2007

Hi there!
My name is Celso, I'm from Brazil and I 'm starting finishing a project that
aims to finally solve the lack of high-end options when we talk 'bout
Imposition (more when we care about complex imposition, like 64 pages per
eg...) ^_^

The Project Calls EasyPose and I 'm very interested in solve some issues
with you, most  regarded the use of Scribus as a "finalyzer" of the imposed
PDF.

First of all, you could see some screenshots of EasyPose @

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/celsojr2005/easypose/

since it is still in zeta release (far from a beta ^_^) there is no usefull
output yet... but the features are:

Choose the individual pages sizes, choose the end (plate) size, auto-adjust
the margins, spaces and so on, determine the bleed.
Choose the pages to be imposed, can be any page of any PDF you have,
EasyPose firstly would'n care about the page size, so it would fit in the
Select the control elements that compose the plate, like color scales,
registration, logos, and whatever the user wants to use inside the margin
limits.
Later, the user folds (realtime) the whole page onscreen (O_o) and EasyPose
cares about the page direction, if it would be upside down, resuming, so the
imposition.
All calculations are done and most of the interface is ready... but I'm
stukked... the Ghostscript is great to RIP or PDF generation, but I must
embed the Postscript data of each page selected, so I could positioning and
rotate the correct pages throughout  the final page.
The Ps and EPS generated via Ghostscript are all font-to-vector flatted
(huge PS files for each page, it is no use to work with it..)
So I thought EasyPose could easylly  create the final layout in a ,sla file
and then use the pdf embedded image for the pages...but I saw the pdf ,
althought is embedded, becomes rasterized in the output...that's too bad,
not just for the vector or the fonts, or even the resolution, but for more
acurated data, such overprint and trapping, which come within the pdf
files... all this is losted when the file is rasterized... does someone has
any idea of how can I go on?

I can direct my output right to a Raster format, so inkjet, or laser
printers can be used, but, if I have to use the PDF in CPT or a outsider
RIP... what could I do?

Regards!
Celso Junior
Brazil