[Scribus] fonts and printing.

jon info
Sat Apr 28 16:59:16 CEST 2007

>>> monroy-lopez wrote

>>> Definitly yes, embedding the fonts is always recommended if you are
>>> going to print your documents at a professional printer.
>>>
>>> Most print shops do not only recommend this, they are insisting
>>> having
>>> embedded fonts.
>
> j> Another option is, if you encounter problems with the fonts or some
> j> of them,
> j> to let scribus convert them to paths. Some non-pro fonts may have
> j> problems with
> j> high resolution postscript devices. But this is only the option for
> j> (if).
> j> Jon
>

> Do you mean by path the outline-option?

Yes.

> I observed with the Gentium-Font from www.sil.org that Scribus does
> NOT propose the embedd fonction, but ONLY the outline function! Is
> there any reason why it can't be embedded? It's a BIG font... I think
> 400kb.

I don't know why especially Gentium (wich is embedable) cannot be
embedded. Might be the copyright
bits are not correctly set, scribus gets them wrong or the pdf format
does not support embedding this kind of ttf
and therefore scribus permits it (any dependencies here?).
Sorry. All I think I know is that there has been an update for the
gentium fonts sometimes, maybe you can update your fonts,
maybe this will change anything (if).
Jon