[Scribus] Book length projects.

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Thu Apr 26 05:03:04 CEST 2007

2007/4/25, John R. Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>:

> Is Scribus suitable for book length projects? Where would I look for
> inofrmation on hypenation, TOC generation, Index generation, running
> heads, widow and orphan supression and the like?   My early attempts
> have looked very crude when compared to the output of TeX etc.  But
> perhaps I am looking at the wrong tutorials.

Hi John,

It depends mostly on the kind of "book length project" you have in mind. If
you have a long text and need TOC and Index and widow/orphan control I would
suggest you use another software. If the book you plan to make has lots of
pages but at the same time can be splitted easily into smaller parts and has
also quite a lot images and graphics... then I would consider Scribus. Also,
please note things are evolving rapidly. Scribus might just be the software
you need in a couple of months from now. Hyphenation in Scribus still misses
a good exception engine but it works in lots of languages and the results
aren't that bad. Depends mostly on the quality you are after.

Typically, Scribus has not shone yet just how it could. So the best is just
ahead of us!

HTH

Louis

--
> John Culleton
> Able Indexing and Typesetting
> Precision typesetting (tm) at reasonable cost.
> Satisfaction guaranteed.
> http://wexfordpress.com

Louis Desjardins
Organisateur / Organiser