[Scribus] cmyk vs rgb

dwain dwain.alford
Sun Apr 22 23:07:05 CEST 2007

Farid Elyahyaoui wrote:
> I sent this one with attachments but It didn't get through.
> So here it is without attachment.
> ---------------------------------
> I'm still trying to grasp the color management settings in scribus
> (and color management in general). I understand that RGB and CMYK are
> completely different color spaces. What I fail to understand is the
> following though:
> If I load a RGB jpeg into scribus and output a cmyk pdf and view the
> pdf on the same machine with acrobat reader the colors look greyish. I
> understand that I need color management to get matching colors between
> screen and what gets printed on paper.
>
> BUT (!) why do I get the different colors if I only work on one
> monitor on one machine?
>
> One would expect that if scribus calculates RGB->CMYK and acrobat
> displays these CMYK colors on the monitor (using RGB of course) that
> the colors would be the same. that is if the calculations are the
> inverse of each other. Or am I completely wrong here?

the only way to get the print to match your screen is export to pdf as
rgb/screen/web; then you should see what you get and get what you see.

with cmyk your output colors are going to look different, because the
monitor is rgb.  in preferences under export to pdf there is a check box
to show screen like printer or something like that.  that should give
you an idea, in scribus, what your cmyk out put will look like.  also
make sure that all of your graphics programs you use have the same color
spaces named in them.  also, the color temp of your monitor will skew
the colors as well.  the cmky profile, they are all a bit different,
will view on screen a little different.  usually they are a darker color
than the rgb color, thus the grayed look.  and different programs will
sometimes render the same image differently; goes back to monitor color
temperature, your ambient light source, etc.

dwain

--
Dwain Alford
http://www.studiokdd.com