[Scribus] eps graphics in V 1.2.1-1 and 1.2.5.dfsg-5+b1

Plinnell mrdocs
Wed Apr 18 22:07:23 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Robin Haunschild wrote:
> Hello, Alex,
>
> am Mittwoch, 18. April 2007 20:22 schrieb Oleksandr Moskalenko:
>
> [...]
>
> > Please upgrade your scribus package from
> >
> > deb http://debian.tagancha.org/debian/ stable main non-free
> > contrib or
> > deb http://debian.scribus.net/debian/ stable main non-free
> > contrib
>
> Interesting: stable and etch were different and confusingly, the
> etch branch had an older version than the stable branch on
> debian.scribus.net ... .
>
> > The current version of "scribus" in our repos is
> > 1.3.3.8+cvs20070409-2. Test your EPS import after the upgrade and
> > if the problem still persists then file a bug report at
> > bugs.scribus.net
>
> It persists and is worse: the pdf export is without the graphic in
> this version.
>
> > and attach a test case EPS to the report, so we could test it
> > here. I
>
> Done, ID 5568.
>
> > don't believe it would be productive to try solving this in the
> > 1.2.x code as the current stable Scribus series is 1.3.3.x and
> > has been for a while. I was waiting for the release of Etch to
> > make the switch of "scribus" to this new codebase.
>
> Like a good Debian user, I used 1.2.x for a long time. ;)
>
> > Also, please double-check the ghostscript you are using. The
> > symptoms
>
> Both, gs-afpl and gs-gpl fail.
>
> > you are describing logically seem to fall into a bad gs pattern
> > i.e. pdf output (internal scribus code) is fine, but eps doesn't
> > show in a document (using gs).
>
> In the version 1.3.3.8+cvs20070409-2 the pdf file is without the
> graphics, too. In the earlier versions (1.3.3.6-dfsg-1 and
> 1.2.5.dfsg-5+b1) the pdf output was still fine. In scribus 1.2.1-1
> both (pdf output and displayed graphics in scribus) was fine.
>

> Greetings
>
> Robin

This is a minor display issue, probably not Scribus or the GS version,
but the creating application:

GSview 4.8 2006-02-25
play_sound: not implemented
debug=0
Unknown in Comments section at line 6:
  %%Magnification: 1.000

DSC Information
At line 8:
   /bd{bind def}bind
def/e{exch}bd/mv{moveto}bd/rm{rmoveto}bd/i{index}bd /r{roll}bd/l{lineto}bd/ed{e
def}bd/a{add}bd/s{sub}bd/m{mul}bd/d{div}bd /np{newpath}bd/df{findfont
definefont}bd/c{setrgbcolor}bd /invis{/t{true charpath}bd/acc{true
charpath pop pop}bd

Lines in DSC documents must be shorter than 255 characters.
GPL Ghostscript 8.56 (2007-03-14)

Note this output this is gsview NOT gv, which is showing its age to be
kind.

Further, importing into an image frame when it can be imported via
File > Open as vector is sub-optimal.

The Scribus docs explain why gsview is the preferred EPS viewer over
all others. (Note it also runs on Windows too.)

Cheers,

Peter