[Scribus] File size using photos

avox avox
Sat Apr 14 18:43:20 CEST 2007

Nigel Ridley wrote:

> Would the quality of the original .jpg suffer visibly in a finished
> [Scribus] .pdf
> if I only cropped it (one edit and one save - ie. one generation) and
> re-saved
> (using the Gimp) at 100% ?

Depends. Probably yes.

You have to understand that in jpeg compression the value of one pixel
affects all other pixels in the same block. That's why you see artefacts if
there is a sharp line crossing a block of pixels. If you crop at the edge
and miss the block border, you might see artefacts along the edge,
especially if you cut along a visible edge in the picture.

So, if you really want to cut off a large part of the picture, it might help
to keep a small border of say 16 pixels and crop that in Scribus. That's
only theory though, never tried that in practice.

/Andreas