[Scribus] Scribus vs. MS Publisher

Craig Ringer craig
Fri Apr 13 01:25:14 CEST 2007

Helge Hielscher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what are the advantages/disadvantages of Scribus over MS Publisher? Is
> Publisher really that much easier to use for people who are familiar with
> MS Word?
>
> On http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Similar_Programs it states that
> Publisher is joke, but what exactly makes it that?

My biggest problem with it is its output. It has only limited CMYK
colour support, and that only in the latest versions. Its PDF output is
not DTP quality, and during the beta for Publisher 7 I was informed that
the PDF output was really not intended for prepress - they're basically
using the component developed for Word.

I've wasted HOURS trying to massage ads designed in Publisher into
something we can print. Publisher is OK if your "press" is your home
colour laser printer, and if you don't have strong  expectations about
colour. If either of these are not true, find a full featured DTP app
and avoid that jumped-up word processor.

--
Craig Ringer