[Scribus] Linked content

Michael Koren kung42o
Fri Apr 6 21:22:49 CEST 2007

Magyar B?lint wrote:

>> Hmm, linked content. That would be very useful and I think I've wanted to
>> do
>> it before too, but I don't think you can at the moment.
>
> See bug report #1704. http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1704
>
> Also mentioned in the roadmap, queued for 1.3.6:
> "Ability to clone frames like Inkscape can, allowing, for example, text
> frames on various layers to have the same size and attributes, except
> different content (eg layers for various translations of a doc). When
> one is moved, they all move, when one is resized they all resize etc.
> ..'Linked Layer Objects' ?"

I plan to allow this kind of thing, linking content and/or other attributes
of whole frames, through my SoC project. Linking _some_ of the content, on
the other hand, will be trickier, but I think possible. In the long term,
built in support for user-defined variables or linked content in the text
engine will probably be a better approach, though.

I still think that a general-purpose content library, that can be stored
with a document and drawn from in multiple places, would be the best
thing....

Michael