[Scribus] Freedom Yug tutorial

Craig Bradney cbradney
Thu Sep 28 21:19:56 CEST 2006

On Thursday 28 September 2006 05:21, BandiPat wrote:
> Gregory Pittman wrote:
> > I've done more work on the tutorial version on the Wiki. (pages 8 and 9)
> > Here's the start:
> > http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Get_Started_with_Scribus
> > Please check it to make sure it makes sense. I think it's time to make a
> > link from one of the categories on the main Wiki page.
> >
> > Greg
>
> Greg,
> I'm going to play spoiler here for a moment.  I know you would expect
> nothing less from me.  :-)
>
> If the tutorial on the wiki was meant for users already familiar with
> Scribus, you might have provided them some help with the tutorial.  If
> you were trying to provide a tutorial for users, new or budding DTP
> users or users that have tried to use the program, you've failed in your
> attempt.  I won't say it sucks like dead rats through a garden hose, but
> it fails to provide the info and sometimes correct info needed to help a
> user learn about and use Scribus.

No. He has not failed. He has done a lot more than you have Patrick. Its a
wiki, if you feel the need to provide some user information, then there is a
tool available to you.

This tutorial is a good tutorial for explaining how to achieve a purpose, it
doesn't cover everything and doesn't cover some things in detail for the
brand new user perhaps, but it still has its value as it did originally.
Thanks once again to Niyam for providing it.

> Knowing Scribus like you do, you probably are/were a bad choice to
> provide a tutorial though.  Simply, because you've forgotten what it is
> like to learn a program of this level of difficulty.  Your abilities
> with the program are probably at a very high level, thus preventing you
> from understanding the things needed to be covered and correctly, for
> early users of the program.  You have to face the fact, Scribus, in it's
> present state is a difficult program to learn and to use.  Many of the
> questions that appear on this list are testimony of that fact.

Thats not true. How many magazine reviews and other reviews and emails have
you missed to say it is not like you say it is.

> Believe me when I say, I'm not trying to be rude or overly critical.

Yes, you are, and getting on my nerves with the over criticism you provide
without reasonable reply or substance.

> It's just a tutorial, in my thoughts, is meant to help teach and
> understand the correct use of something.  I don't believe this tutorial
> meets that criteria yet.

It did before and it still does. Yes, it probably needs some more work, but
I'm standing up to Greg and saying thanks for taking the time and making the
enormous effort to convert this to the wiki and update it as much as it is.
 Feel free to make a copy and dumb it down so my 2 year old can use it.

Craig