[Scribus] Placing PDFs

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu Sep 28 17:40:37 CEST 2006

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Scribus 1.2.4.1 on Ubuntu AMD64 Dapper
>
> 1) Is there a way to place more than the first page of a PDF file? A
> manual method is adequate, as I need to do this only with files of a
> few pages long. The files are from a CD that came with a textbook I am
> using for a course. Instead of printing them out with Kpdf or something
> and filling in the answers in handwriting, I want to place a text box
> over them to make them "typed in." Plus, that way I can export as a new
> PDF and e-mail to the professor instead of having to make a tip to his
> office.

Good idea to copy your PDF to your hard drive.
As far as breaking up a PDF, Acrobat will do this, of course. For a
freely available program, try pdftk:
http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/
Use the "burst" command.
> 2) Is there a way to embed the PDFs in the Scribus document? (Sorry if
> this is a stupid question -- I am just starting to use Scribus.) I
> placed them from the CD, then later opened the file when I didn't have
> the CD in the drive, and the PDFs were gone. I have plenty of disk
> space, so I don't care if it makes the Scribus file large.

A many-times-asked question. Short answer: no. Longer answer you're
looking for is to convert to an EPS, which can indeed be embedded in a
Scribus document, and does indeed make them quite large.

Greg