[Scribus] Importing pdf and ps files

Plinnell mrdocs
Thu Sep 21 19:56:40 CEST 2006

On Thursday 21 September 2006 18:23, Axel Bojer wrote:
> I have a pdf-file that I have to use in my Scribus document, but:
> Is it safe to import pdf-files to my scribus 1.3.3.3-document and
> then print it? I read something (but can't remember where) about
> difficulties concerning this, but they are perhaps already fixed in
> 1.3.3.3? In the preferences for the preflight here also is a
> checkbox for "Check for placed pdf-files".
>
> There *is* a "File - Import - EPS/PS"-function, but not a
> pdf-function. Pdf2ps made my pdf to a ps-file so I could import it,
> but this took forever on my machine an never came further as 66%,
> so I just had to stop it the hard way.
>
> I am also able to import pdf-files in a picture frame (seems curios
> to me, I would suppose it to be imported the same way as i eps/ps
> file), but this worked, and my resulting pdf-file made from my
> Scribus document seems ok (pdf 1.4).
>
> But the preflight verifier gives me the mentioned warning about
> ?placed pdf?. I know I can turn this warning of, but why is it
> possible to get this warning in the first place? This makes me (the
> user) think something may be broken ...

Because while importing a PDF into an image frame works, it may not
give the best quality. If you are happy with the result great.
However, don't just judge by the screen, printing will show flaws not
usually visible on screen.

> What is the safest and best way to do to use my pdf-file in a
> scribus -file?
>
> Best regards
> Axel Bojer

Hints/Limits with PDF import are as follows:

It is not ideal for large text files.

Try using pdftops << note spelling; that comes from xpdf, not
ghostscript. Sometimes this is better at conversion to ps.

You can also open a multipage PDF and print to a file or command line
export from Acrobat Reader. This is documented in the help section in
Acro Reader and the included PDF manual.

Peter