[Scribus] Font Error

Craig Ringer craig
Fri Sep 15 02:42:48 CEST 2006

Eddie Johnson Jr wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I installed Scribus version 1.2.4.1 on top of Ubuntu Dapper Server in a
> LTSP (Linux Terminal Server) setup and I am having problems.

1.2.4 without the fontconfig patch is largely unsuitable for thin client
use because of serious deficiencies in the way it finds fonts. It makes
the completely invalid assumption that the X server's font path has some
relationship to the local file system. This works for a local X server
(usually) but breaks for anything else.

You can work around this problem by explicitly setting a font path in
.scribus/scribusfont.rc (I think), but you're MUCH better off moving up
to 1.3.x for that sort of use.

It's also worth noting that, unlike many apps for thin clients, Scribus
will benefit from 100baseTX networking in the thin clients - or even
1000baseTX if available - because it currently does a *LOT* of bitmap
drawing.

--
Craig Ringer