[Scribus] Can't place some JPEG images

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net ols6000
Mon Sep 11 08:58:07 CEST 2006

I have a large number of JPEG images, generated by a scanner. Most of
these I can place in my document without difficulty, but some I can't.

When I select the picture frame and type ^D, the file open dialog
appears. Now if I click one of the problem images, I get messages
"Application transferred too few scanlines". I get four of these
messages, separated by a few seconds.

An example image that cannot be placed is 6495 x 3952 pixels, 4800
dpi. This image can be displayed as a thumbnail by Windows Explorer,
and at any size by PicaJet (an image organizer), so I know the image
file is OK.

The platform is Windows XP Professional, SP2; Ghostscript 8.54, 1 Gb
RAM and plenty of free disk space. The same error occurs with both
Scribus 1.3.2 and 1.3.3. It occurs with a new document containing
nothing else but a single picture frame.

 From what little I have found, this is some error or deficiency in
the JPEG library. Is this correct? If so, how can I fix the problem?
I have a strong preference to avoid having to convert my input images
in any way, since I have quite a few of them.