[Scribus] New version of Linux Libertine is out

John Jason Jordan johnxj
Tue Sep 5 16:26:14 CEST 2006

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 20:47:19 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:

> I like what it does with their underlined version with descenders.

That is its best feature.

What I would love is if somehow Scribus could someday do this with all
fonts. I still use InDesign for most things while waiting for Scribus
to add a few features I need, one of which is optical character
spacing. Optical character spacing is unique to InDesign, not available
in any other application, not even TeX. It works by disregarding the
metric spacing tables built into the font and, instead, measuring the
white space between the letters to adjust the kerning. The result is
superbly spaced characters. Now, if this can be done with text, why
could it not be done with the underline? In other words, if the
character has a descender, measure the position of the descender and
run the underline right up to it, leaving a bit of white space on both
sides.