[Scribus] Basic design books, Scribus Digest, Vol 43, Issue 5

frank gaude' tanzen
Sun Sep 3 19:31:41 CEST 2006

Martin Langeland wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a good book on design, in English, suitable for a
>> beginner who knows quite a lot about software but not much about
>> professional design?
>>
> Tony,
> I would recommend William Addison Dwiggins' "Layout in Advertising".
> Written in 1928 By the man who designed many of the greatest Alfred A
> Knopf titles.
> Some information on technology may be dated. But the principles remain
> valid and the text is accessible, profusely illustrated and short. With
> this as a foundation you can go on to more contemporary texts if you
> need to.
> A search at And All Book finder produced several copies for about $15.
> http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=W+A+Dwiggins&title=advertising&keyword=&isbn=&order=TITLE&ordering=ASC&dispCurr=USD&binding=Any+Binding&min=&max=&timeout=20&match=Y&store=Abebooks&store=AbebooksDE&store=AbebooksFR&store=AbebooksUK&store=Alibris&store=Amazon&store=AmazonCA&store=AmazonUK&store=AmazonDE&store=AmazonFR&store=Antiqbook&store=Biblio&store=Bibliophile&store=Bibliopoly&store=Booksandcollectibles&store=Half&store=ILAB&store=Maremagnum&store=Powells&store=Strandbooks&store=ZVAB

I feel in love with WAD when I first saw his typeface, Electra. The
Boston Globe in the late '20s gave him credit for first using the
expression "graphic designer". I feel he was a model citizen, a real
human being. I have the book you mention, bought in about 1980 for $30
US. Tells you where the world is going to not have that book increase in
value.

frank