[Scribus] [OT] Color management - profile for my monitor?

Craig Ringer craig
Sat Oct 21 19:29:58 CEST 2006

Plinnell wrote:
> On Saturday 21 October 2006 17:11, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
>> I have a Belinea 10 19 10. The documentation claims it can do
>> 6500K, 9300K, "User" and "sRGB", but not 5500K.
>> The on screen menu offers choices: "warm", "cold" or selecting RGB
>> values on a scale from 0 to 100 for each color. There is no
>> information in the manual about how these relate to color
>> temperatures, Belinea didn't answear when I emailed them about it.

That's rather odd. Many monitor OSDs offer temperature settings
separately to the main colour section, so do look around the whole OSD
menu. Failing that, I don't personally know of a reliable way to set a
monitor's colour temperature. (For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised
if many monitors' settings, especially LCDs, were a long way from
accurate anyway).

> Warm more than likely = 6500K and Cold = 9300K (usual default)

Warm could easily by 7200K or similar as well, that's not at all uncommon.

> You can try the 6500K profile, but it may or may not work well. Martia
> Maria of littlecms has told us not all manufacturer provided profiles
> are useful and some are broken. There is a fair amount
> of 'self-defense' code in Scribus and littlecms to handle incorrect
> or broken profiles.

If the manufacturer's supplied profiles aren't just broken, then they're
probably better than what you could make "by eye," but you'd be sure to
get a better result from a calibration device if you have access to one.

Of course, if you're working under Linux calibration devices aren't
presently easy to come by :-(

--
Craig Ringer