[Scribus] Mac Intel

Matthias Schmitt freak002
Fri Oct 20 11:14:14 CEST 2006

Hello,

>> EVERY package of Fink became unstable and there is NO WAY to revert
>> to the previons state.

This is absolutely correct. Fink uses an 'all or nothing' approach
for handling unstable packages. All packages marked as unstable are
always compiled with the latest components, which are of course also
unstable.

If you are using PPC architecture you have multiple options:

1. Use the pre-compiled Scribus Aqua Version 1.3.3.2

Unfortunately this version has a major bug in color management (CMYK
colors are wrong), which makes it pretty useless, unless your
resulting print does not use any color. If you plan to use Scribus
with color output, check with your local printing company, if they
accept the PDF in RGB colors, which was fine for me.

2. Use Fink with one of the following options:

a. Install the binary distribution of Scribus 1.2.3, which is a
little outdated.
b. Download and compile Scibus 1.3.3.1, which has the previous
described color bug.
c. Download and compile the latest 1.3.3.4 distibution, which turns
all other Fink modules to an unstable mode too.

If you are working on Intel Architecture, then you can only use Fink
to compile your binary. There are no pre-compiled binaries. Linux
users accept a compiler as an installation tool. Mac users will never
accept this solution. The missing binary distribution of Scribus is a
major show stopper on the Mac Platform.

> If I understand right Fink is based on Debian.

The idea of package distribution was taken from Debian, but that's
it. There is no shared source code, nor can you use Debian package
commands. The easiest way to use Fink is to use the Fink Package
manager, which has a menu driven interface. Hey, since when do we Mac
users use the command line? :-)

Greetings from Luxembourg

Matthias Schmitt