[Scribus] Managing image transparency

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists
Wed Oct 18 09:34:39 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:26:38AM -0700, Cedric Sagne wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has a tip for the following: an image has a
> white background which must be removed and the central subject is then
> placed on top of shapes, polygons, background images so the white bit
> of the image is not desirable...
>
> which image format can i use, as jpg, psd are not suitable, tiff does
> not support transparency... or is there another solution altogether,
> with more brain power?

TIFF does support transparency, as does PNG. But be aware that certain
RIPs do not support transparency. You need a fully PDF 1.4 capable RIP
to print that.

(For example, pdftops from xpdf has problems and transparent areas will
show up black. Acroread will flatten the transparency correctly when
converting to PS, though Ghostscript seems to have problems with the
generated PS.)

HTH,

Tino.

--