[Scribus] Problem with PDF export - "L" characters too thick

Plinnell mrdocs
Tue Oct 10 21:20:22 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 14:42, Janet Hawtin wrote:
> Ooh a question ive got the answer for.
> I get that too. Especially with bitstream vera sans.
> I understand that it is caused by the way the specific font aliases
> as specific resolutions, ie if you zoom in the letters will form
> correctly. The letters should also print correctly.
> Remedy: change font or zoom/print.
>
> Cheers
>
> Janet
>
> On 10/10/06, Kenton Williams <kwilliams at penbaymedia.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a rather strange problem.  When I export my document to
> > PDF, all of the letter "L" characters, both upper and lower case
> > are too thick. When you print the document, the problem is less
> > noticeable, but still there.  I am running Scribus 1.3.3.3 on
> > Windows XP.  I have installed Ghostscript 8.54.  I have not tried
> > too many fonts but it is obvious on screen with Arial, although
> > the document in Scribus looks great.  The issue only appears in
> > the PDF exported documents.  If I export to PNG, the problem is
> > gone.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Kenton Williams
> > GIS Analyst
> > Penobscot Bay Media
> > 32 Washington St., Suite 230
> > Camden, ME  04843
> > http://www.penbaymedia.com

Hi,

This is a known issue with Adobe Reader and is aggrivated on LCD
screens.

Going to preferences and then adjusting anti-aliasing and "Cooltype"
settings can make this less prominent.

This is *only* a display issue.

Peter