[Scribus] Beginner's Questions on using Scribus

Markus Kamp mk_cactus
Fri Oct 6 16:50:58 CEST 2006

Hi Sravani!

I'm a new user of scribus too, but as I have some more DTP-experience
I hope I am able to help you with answers to some of your questions.

Am 06.10.2006 um 15:53 schrieb Sravani Mudumbi
> (2) What's up with the pictures? Why is not letting me put pictures
> I've obtained from the internet? I understand that they have to be
> of a certain quality for scribus to support them. Well what can I
> do in my case?
Get better pictures :-)
Seriously: If Scribus really blocks pictures of low quality (haven't
tried yet, so I'm just guessing here) and you don't have access to
better ones one workaround would be to "blow them up" using a
graphics program like Photoshop or GIMP. Look for the command to
resize the picture, enter a higher number (for example 300 dpi) for
the resolution while keeping the values for width and height unchanged.

But be warned this won't give better quality because the graphics
editor just inserts some pixels without adding actual picture
_information_. Your results will most likely look blurry, not to say
ugly..

> (3) How can make the first letter of an article big, big enough to
> match three lines of the article. Like you see in the newspapers?

What you're searching for is an "Initial" character, at least this is
the term in german.
I doubt if Scribus supports this yet, but you could look for the word
in the menus. The other option is of course to draw an ectra text-box
if you really want to it do it the hard way ;-)
> (4) When writing an article, I usually put the title in a separate
> text box, just so that the spacing problems would be avoided and I
> can move it around to how much ever space i want between the title
> and the text. Is there a way that I put the text and title in one
> box and make it a bit easier or is it just not possible?
As far as I know it is not possible in scribus (yet) because you can
only enter one value for the space between lines of text per text-box.
Other applications support seperate values per chapter of even per
line of text.

>  In order to print it out at the copy center is there a way I can
> open the document in microsoft publisher and make changes to it.
There is no way to convert data between Scribus and MS Publisher (or
any other application) because especially layout-files hav a very
complex structure and it would need an impractical amount of work to
reverse engineer the format as long as it is not made public by the
manufacturer of the program.

There are also legal problems that prevent the developers from doing
that. If you want to know more about that point, there's some info
about it in the FAQs and Wiki.

> I hope that is not too many questions at once.
I just picked the easy ones ;-)

Greetings, Markus