[Scribus] file format 1.3.3.x and 1.3.4

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Wed Nov 29 22:32:29 CET 2006

Craig Bradney a ?crit :

> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 20:46, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>
>>avox wrote:

>>>Yes. We only provide backward compatibility, not forward compatibility.
>>>134cvs is a development version with a lot of file format changes. You
>>>should only use it for playing around and use 133x for production work.
>>
>>Do you think we might ever see an option to save in an older format? In
>>other words, have the possibility from 1.3.4 to save into a
>>1.3.3.x-compatible format?
>>A slightly different version of "backward compatibility."
>

> Yes it might be possible. One of the things I extended in 1.3.4cvs is the
> separation of the loader and saver plugins. We *may* extend the 1.3.3.x
> loader plugin to also be a saver plugin.. however, this will not happen in
> 1.3.4, and more than likely not in 1.3.5.

Just a thought on Greg's idea. I wonder whether saving in an older
format would be as good as it seems. Does that still make sense from the
free software point of view? Anyone wishing to upgrade can do so at no
cost. If a user come across a file the app can't open, it means the app
should be upgraded. That's it. We have lots of reflexes from the old world.

I fully understand the need for being able to open an older file in the
newer version. Otherwise, one would have to update all the files created
back then. So I strongly support this feature.

Cheers!

Louis