[Scribus] spaces in text frame

Terence Chan terence
Wed Nov 29 19:12:29 CET 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 listen at thomas-zastrow.de wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 15:51, Terence Chan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having trouble getting spaces to appear properly in a text
> > frame; hitting the space bar when editing text makes all spaces
> > appear as a - or ~ like character. I then tried to insert a space
> > using the "Insert Glyph" dialogue, which makes spaces appear ok
> > in scribus, but then the -/~ character reappears in the pdf file
> > (at least with PDF X-3 - I haven't tried PDF 1.x).
> >
> > I can't be the first person to want to have spaces in a text frame,
> > so what am I doing wrong?
> >
> > My setup is Scribus 1.3.3.4 on Fedora Core 5 with Acrobat 7.
>
> Terence, could this be a problem of the font you are using? Did you try to
> change the font, using something common like Arial, Times etc.?
>
> Best,
>
> Tom

Yes, you're right! I have no such problem with the fonts in
/usr/share/fonts (though I've only tried Bitstream Vera Roman).
The problems come with the Computer Modern tfm fonts and the Type 1
pfb fonts that are part of the tex/latex package. Does anyone have
experience of using such fonts in Scribus? I've seen quite a few
posts about Type 1 fonts so presumably nobody has had similar
problems with other kinds of Type 1 fonts?

Terence