[Scribus] Will later versions of Scribus open files from earlier versions?

Plinnell mrdocs
Tue Nov 14 17:54:40 CET 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 17:29, John Hodge wrote:
> Hi all,
> Will later versions of Scribus open files from earlier versions?
>
> I am asking because I recently needed to open some very old
> Pagemaker 5 files, and it wasn't straight forward. I have Scribus
> 1.3.3.3 files - but will I be able to open them in 5 years on the
> then current vesion? What is the cut-off point for these files?
>
> Just thinking ahead...
>
> Cheers
> John

Hi,

It is something we *do* take into account. Franz just made some
improvements to the plugin which imports 0.5-1.2.x files into 134cvs.

We tested using some files I had from about 0.5.4-0.5.5 which was mid
2002 when I created them. It even remembers the color management
settings too.

Interestingly, it was one of the first real docs I created in Scribus.
It was a short training manual for creating PDF reliably in Pagemaker
7 :-)

So while the file format is changing, some places quite a bit, loading
old docs should be quite painless. What does change is the height of
the gap of the top of the text frames slightly. The rest just seems
to work without issue.

Cheers,
Peter