[Scribus] Troubleshooting an FC6 upgrade

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu Nov 2 22:34:16 CET 2006

I'm trying to figure out why I can't print directly from Scribus ever
since I upgraded from FC5 to FC6.

I've done the obligatory recompiling of my 1.3.3.4 on the upgraded FC6.

I have been using the 8.53 version of ghostscript, since, like FC5, FC6
has 8.15 as its latest version. I recompiled 8.53 also.
What I have is two versions of gs, one in /usr/bin (the 8.15) and one in
/usr/local/bin (the 8.53). In Scribus, I set the Preferences to point to
/usr/local/bin/gs, which is what (I think) I had done in FC5. It also
seemed to me that I had made some links, like for example:

ln -s /usr/local/bin/gs /usr/bin/gs   (after renaming the original gs to
save it)

so I tried that, along with several others, such as gsdj, gslj, gslp,
gsbj. That seemed to entirely break my Postscript printing capabilities,
even outside of Scribus, so I switched back to the 8.15 versions in
/usr/bin.
I've also noticed that printing from Adobe Reader is also broken -- when
I look in KJobViewer it says ERROR (just like with Scribus). Printing
from KPDF is okay -- that's my workaround at present.

One of the things I'm wondering from those on the list is how others
make 8.53 work -- do you keep your older native version or replace it? How?
I know I'll figure this out eventually; I'm hoping to come up with a
cleaner solution (as in more elegant, I'm not trying to wash my laptop).

Greg