[Scribus] Flyer for Scribus

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sun May 21 01:37:59 CEST 2006

Am Sonntag, 21. Mai 2006 01:13 schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> Maciej Hanski wrote:
> > Craig Bradney wrote:

> >> Sounds like a booboo to me.. if theres an s on the end you don't add it
> >> IIRC.
> >
> > Sounds like Greg were right for this side of the Atlantic, too:
> >
> > <quoting>
> > We add an apostrophe and "s" after all singular nouns and after plural
> > nouns that do not end in "s"...
> > </quoting>
> >
> > http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/grammar/archive/apostrophes01.html
> >
> > http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/grammar/genitiv.htm
>
> The very first "rule" in Strunk & White's "The Elements of Style" shows
> two correct examples:  "Charles's friend", "Burns's poems".
>
> Greg

But this is ugly, isn't it? In German, we simply omit the second s and only
use the apostrophe in this case. But in German apostrophe + s isn't used for
the genitive anyway, at least it wasn't until the so called spelling reform,
which made the "fool's apostrophe" (as it is generally called) a part of
"correct" German.

Christoph