[Scribus] Dilemma: Scribus performance with Vector Graphics in Presentation

PLinnell mrdocs
Wed May 17 18:12:28 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 01:26, Johannes Graumann wrote:

A few thoughts replied to in-line.

> Hello,
>
> Naive fishing for ideas:
> - I'm working on a scientific presentation in scribus 1.3.3.1.
> - Graphics are being done in Inkscape and therefore nicely
> available in SVG for direct import.
> - (Necessary) obsession with detail leads to SVGs with high element
> content (imagine coordinate systems plotted with R to EPS and
> imported into/ manipulated by inkscape and alike things).
> - Tricks like slide by slide picture buildup expand that problem
> even further (slide 1: part a of a figure, slide 2: parts a and b,
> ...).

For any kind of presentation on screen you are not likely to achieve
much over 120dpi, so super precise vectors may not even show well
with the clarity you wish.

Next question is if your are indeed exporting EPS from R, why not
directly import it into Scribus ? Note, I would recommend having the
latest Ghostscript as it improves EPS import in somecases
dramatically. This means File > Import vs Image > Get Image > Import
EPS.