[Scribus] line spacing, sections, and styles

Michael Koren kung42o
Mon May 15 04:14:01 CEST 2006

I'm trying to figure out the best way to set the spacing between different
bocks of text, such as between headings / subheadings / body text and
between the end of one section and the next heading/subheading.

I generally want different spacing after a heading depending on what follows
it (e.g., a second line of the same heading, subheading, etc.), which so far
has meant I have to define several variants of each heading style with
different trailing spaces to get the desired effect.

Example: sometimes I'll need something like

First Line of Heading1   <manual break for proper wrap>
Heading1 Line 2
Subheading1
Text...

and want different spacing after lines 1 and 2. Or sometimes Heading1 may be
followed by text without a subheading, and need a yet different spacing.

I have a few ideas for different ways of setting lines/paragraph spacing to
handle this (e.g., section styles, explicit spacing bewteen sections,
collapsible before/after spacing in styles), but is there some traditional
way of doing this that I'm missing?

I'm not really familiar with the way different line spacing modes, paragraph
space before/after, baseline snap, etc. are used together in DTP.

Thanks,
Michael