[Scribus] greyscale, bleed, and PDF/X-3

Nik scribus
Fri May 12 06:05:25 CEST 2006

Hi Andreas!

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

 > In your case that would have to be a grayscale ICC profile I'd guess.
 > Try to install a generic one

I had wondered whether I could produce greyscale PDF using a greyscale
profile...
Thank you for your suggestion - I'll look into a greyscale profile.

 > Did your printer ask specifically for X-3 compatibility?
No. In fact, they seemed quite confused by the term - I don't think they
actually know what it is.
I selected PDF/X-3 because from my research, it seemed the most reliable
way to ship a print-ready document.
I thought this decision was confirmed when the printer asked for bleed,
and I saw the PDF/X-3 options apparently included control over this.

However, someone has posted instructions to me on creating bleed in a
regular scribus document, so I will try to set this up correctly, and
send it to the printer. I must say that the 'trim box' in the PDF/X-3
options certainly seemed a simpler way of doing it - if indeed that does
create bleed for me.

Q: Is there any way of including some 'bleed' control in regular
(non-PDF/X-3) PDF creation, and is it worth a feature request?

Cheers!
Nik