[Scribus] greyscale, bleed, and PDF/X-3

Nik scribus
Thu May 11 10:24:40 CEST 2006

Hi All,

Thanks for a brilliant piece of software! I have been getting ever
better results from scribus, and more recently have upgraded a relative
of mine to using linux and scribus for their newsletter.

This newsletter is printed in monochrome (one colour on white paper) by
a commercial printer. In addition, a PDF version of the newsletter is
published on the website of the organisation (a library). I am trying to
generate output for both printer and web from the one base document.

I have sent two test PDFs to the commercial printer to make sure that
our output will work with their tools.

I created the first test PDF with scribus 1.2.4.1 using PDF/X-3
compatability. The printer's primary issue with this PDF was that it was
in colour, and they required greyscale for monochrome printing.

I created the second PDF using scribus 1.3.3 (built from tarball), using
PDF 1.4 compatability, and scribus' greyscale output option. This is
because scribus 1.3.3 does not support greyscale output with PDF/X-3.

The response frm the printer is that they require bleed. I am currently
waiting on a reply from the printer for more precise details, but I note
that under the PDF/X-3 options, there is a trim box which controls page
bleed settings. If this is the bleed that the printer is referring to,
then it seems I have two contradictory requirements from the printer.

Q: What is my best course of action to produce a PDF for the printer
which has both bleed and greyscale?

Any and all responses gratefully accepted.

Cheers!
Nik.