[Scribus] pantone colors

Gustavo Homem gustavo
Fri May 5 02:45:46 CEST 2006

Hi Christoph,

[...]

> > do the above steps enable me to produce a PDF which contains the right
> > indications for a "print shop" to produce Pantone colors for me?
>
> Yes.
>
> > (even if I had to look them up on a book, and the representation manually
> > I picked for them on the screen is not very faithful)
> >
> > Can I hand over such PDF and expect them to understand it, with no
> > further questions asked?
>
> "With no further questions asked" is always a bad idea. Success in printing
> has a lot do with communication between human beings, since there are
> hundreds of uncertainties. It's almost the same as asking a doctor for help
> by describing shortly what you think is wrong with you.

seems that I picked the wrong words there.... what I want to know, is if such
a PDF can be automatically interpreted by their workflow, if the colors have
correct Pantone names and are marked as spot colors.

> > > No ink colour can be displayed "correctly" on screen. It is possible to
> > > come cery close, but accuracy is almost impossible.
> >
> > I am aware of that, that's why I used the "". I suppose "very close" is
> > what programs that claim Pantone support do...
>
> They don't even do that. Read the disclaimers!
>
> > Can you explain the difference between a spot colour and a non-spot color
> > in terms of what is stored on the PDF?
>
> A spot colour is stored as a separate colour (only the name of the colour)
> in the PDF file, whereas a process colour is stored in CMYK/RGB values.

aha! Then why is it that when I marked as color as spot and gave it a foobar
name Acrobat still rendered it?  If only the name was there, it shouldn't , I
think.

> The
> developers will be able to explain the technical details better than I ;)
>

> > Sorry for not understanding at first :-)
>
> You need special software for this. AFAICT, none of them is available for
> Linux yet :(

but this list does a god job anyway.

Best regards
Gustavo

--
Angulo S?lido - Tecnologias de Informa??o
http://angulosolido.pt