[Scribus] ANNOUNCE Release Scribus 1.3.3 - Printemps

Ruth Rickard ruth
Tue Mar 28 22:59:25 CEST 2006

Benjamin wrote:

>Hopefully they will package it into a .pkg format so it will install
>like Apple software. This is pretty complicated to install on a Mac.

That would be nice - I didn't know they were so hard to make. But installation is not impossible if you get the right information in time. Many thanks. We have lift off! I don't get the 'things won't work without Ghostscript' message any more - and I now realise the 'choose page format' page must be the wizard you mentioned - so it's all in place. Start-up and running seems very slow and my computer is grinding to a halt with Scribus open, and I'm not quite sure why that is - it's not unlike having Photoshop open.

Thanks to all for all your efforts and for your kind advice.

Ruth

>The
>Ghostscript.framework file from aqua.scribus.net is a working
>Ghostscript. There are aliases in it though and the path is an alias
>that I gave but it will resolve itself in the dialog box. Basically just
>find the gsc file and don't worry about whether or not it is the alias
>or the actual file - this shouldn't make a difference. You put the
>Ghostscript.framework file in /Library/Frameworks. Note - do not make
>subfolders in this folder. Note - on the wizard whether that appears or
>not just depends on your settings so don't worry about that.
>
>I wish I knew more about this but I am just a user too - I do mostly
>design and writing on my computer and have never gotten past the HTML
>and CSS langauges. If I knew how to make a normal Mac OS X installer I
>would do it and save us all a lot of trouble.
>
>Ruth Rickard wrote:
>>> Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:21:16 -0800
>>> From: Benjamin Huot <benjaminhuot at comcast.net>
>>
>> Dear Benjamin,
>>
>> Thanks for the  list (which didn't include where exactly to put the Ghostscript, although it is implied by the path you give lower down - otherwise this would be useful on the download page). Eventually I could do it, but was delayed many times by the fact that the A & B folders have exactly the same names and creation dates as the ones I downloaded yesterday, so that took a bit to sort out. Are they, in fact, different?
>>
>> I did all the things you said and opened up (no Wizard screen, by the way) just as I did yesterday and defined the path to Ghostscript (which wasn't /bin because the page on the website doesn't say that) but it turns out anyway that the downloaded Ghostscript is only an alias. I went and looked at it again, I unpacked it again and there it was, an alias. That can't be right, can it?
>>
>> So sorry to have problems when this is obviously a celebration day for all of you. I love open source and the communities who support it, just the fact that such things can exist is truly wonderful.
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Ruth
>>
>>> 1. Download the Scribus Aqua, Libraries A and B, and Ghostscript from
>>> http://aqua.scribus.net/
>>> 2. Open them up so you get folders from the files and an icon for Scribus
>>> 3. Put the Scribus icon in /Applications
>>> 4. compare folders A and B to /Library/Frameworks and remove any
>>> previous versions of the A and B frameworks first in the Frameworks folder
>>> 5. then put the new frameworks in from folders A and B into
>>> /Library/Frameworks
>>> 6. then launch Scribus from the /Applications folder
>>> 7. then push cancel on the new page wizard and choose Preferences from
>>> the Scribus menu and scroll down and click on External Tools
>>> 8. Browse to the gsc file under Postscript Interpreter from the Change
>>> button
>>> 9. It is in the /Library/Frameworks/Ghostscript.framework/bin folder
>>> 10. Then quit and then relaunch Scribus as before