[Scribus] Scribus Digest, Vol 37, Issue 65

hovergo at net-tech.com.au hovergo
Mon Mar 27 07:13:12 CEST 2006

Scribus crashing in windows off topic

>That really changed when the NT-based OSes (NT, 2k, XP) went mainstream.
>These days it's ASDOA - Always Suspect Drivers Or Applications.
>Especially drivers. If you get a bluescreen (STOP error), the chances
>are VERY strong that it's a driver, or flakey hardware like an
>overheating CPU or video card. Program crashes are likely to be just
>that, though they can certainly be caused by things like old/flakey
>video drivers, particularly broken spyware, etc.

I would like to know more about this and where to get less suspect
drivers, and what drivers to look for.
We have several machines some very new  from Dell some 3 years old range
from Dell to generic shop built, none have any problem on Linux.

In all cases xp complains regularly and shuts off the applications
particularly with very sophisticated programs like TurboCad, 3dStudio
Max and Macromedia where as Linux just goes on for weeks and weeks on
the same machines, same memory, same disk drives same software  as
previously mentioned. Day temperatures from 14 to 35 deg celcius room
temp. I believe I can rule out flaky gear, heat, hardware but if this is
not the case I would like to know what to look for and how to fix it.

I do find it interesting that I can use Scribus, Gimp and Blender for 3
weeks or so non stop to complete a project with no glitches.

On the last Newsletter I edited and designed, in changing over to
Scribus I actually saved 200 hours icluding learning Scribus from scratch.
I'm a volunteer and give my time to the newsletter,  so saving 2-3 weeks
was wonderful.

Thanks
Roger