[Scribus] CMYK image processing

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer
Wed Mar 22 01:21:20 CET 2006

pixelnate wrote:

> And Pantone colors are never properly duplicated in
> CMYK values. That is the reason for the existence of spot colors.

As I know the Pantone samples are mixed inks, mixed from some clean
pigments, e.g. a deep blue, which seems to be identical in color to fine
artists true cobalt blue, which you cannot reproduce with cyan+magenta
(which compares a little bit brownish).

Pantone is a system to select and order premixed inks, which typically
will be printed as 5th, 6th etc. separate/additional color. That's the
reason, why printing machines for packaging or self-adhesive labels
often are 6- or 8-color machines.

Color management and correction of 4c-printing had an unbelievable
progress the last 30 years, but still has to accept, that some colors
are not reproducable - they are out of gamut, and most of them are lost
at the first step from the 'nature' to the film/sensor in the camera.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer