[Scribus] CMYK image processing (was: Newbie question: blending photos.)

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Mar 21 10:56:28 CET 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:28:37PM +0100, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Am Samstag, 18. M?rz 2006 21:31 schrieb Tobias Hilbricht:
> > Am Samstag, 18. M?rz 2006 15:57 schrieb Craig Ringer:
> > > (of course, CMYK is becoming less important at
> > > the same time due to better colour management and so on - they make the
> > > IMO valid point that really CMYK should be the RIPs problem).
> >
> > How do you deal then with specific CMYK colours which you take from printed
> > swatches or colour books if your image manipulation program does not allow
> > for entering and keeping CMYK colours? If you want a specific CMYK colour
> > then you need a way to tell GIMP.
>
> That's not the only problem. Since the CMYK colourspace is much smaller than
> RGB, it is essential to simulate that colourspace on screen to prevent users
> from using colours that can't be printed or warn if such colours are used.

This doesn't actually require CMYK support in the application. If I
understand correctly, GIMP should be able to do this when the colour
management support is integrated, without needing to understand the CMYK
color format. IIRC LittleCMS should be able to take care of issues
involving the output profile, and feed RGB data to GIMP. I could easily
be wrong here, but that's my understanding.

--
Craig Ringer