[Scribus] import ps file as *real* text

John R. Culleton john
Thu Mar 16 20:06:50 CET 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 04:38, Tobias Hilbricht wrote:

> > > I thought LyX was also an equally viable WYSIWIG tool in this category
> >
> > "WYSIWYM" (What you see is what you mean). LyX is just a more comfortable
> > way of using LaTeX.
>
> I fully support Christoph's notion that Scribus is not the proper tool for
> a scientific book with lots of footnotes, cross references and literature
> references and indices.
> In many cases (La)TeX is much better for scientific publications, and LyX
> is a very good entrance point which comes with a lot of good documentation
> in a couple of languages. There is a tool writer2latex which can convert
> your OO-document into LaTeX which you could edit in LyX then.
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> Tobias Hilbricht

Aother converter is rtf2latex2e which I use as a starting point
when I get a MSWord Doc file or an rtf file from a client. But I
then do my real work either in pdftex (plus eplain usually) or
Context.  The problem with Context is that the main manuals date
back 6 or more years and gazillions of features have been added
since.

I find LaTeX too verbose and confining. And you have to chase
around rounding up all the classes and styles you need. Context
is newer and a bit better organized, with exception noted above.

You can do almost anything in almost any competent program. The
trick is to find the cost-effective application(s) for your
workload and then invest time in learning them to a high degree
of fluency.

The lack of WYSIWYG is a virtue, not a sin. Authoring should be
about content. The fine points of layout can come later.
--
John Culleton

Able Indexers and Typesetters.