[Scribus] Font problems when importing PS

Magnus Gunnarsson magnus.gunnarsson
Thu Mar 9 16:30:32 CET 2006

I have spent som ten hours now trying to make Scribus handle fonts
properly when importing postscript, without success. This is my
situation:

1. I have generated a postscript file containing (among other things)
text (using abcm2ps). (The file can be found on http://www.ling.gu.se/
~mgunnar/music.ps.)

2. The font used for the text is not embedded in the postscript file.
I have not found any way to do that.

3. When opening the file in gv, the text looks good, and continues to
look good even if I zoom 400%. Same thing if I open the file in
Preview (converting it to pdf).

4. When importing the file into Scribus, the text looks weird
(screenshot can be found on http://www.ling.gu.se/~mgunnar/music-
scribus-import.tiff).

5. When I make a document in Scribus, export it as eps, and import it
again, the fonts are preserved. (Although I think that the fonts are
embedded in that file. I am not sure, though; I do not understand
much Postscript.)

6. I have tried several different fonts, I have tried Scribus 1.2.3
from the command line and 1.3.2 Aqua. I have tried embedding the
fonts in the postscript file, without success. I have read every web
page that Google has indexed.

Has anybody got any idea of what I can do? Is there a way to get some
kind of error log from Scribus, to see what is going wrong? Anything?

Desperately,

	MagnusG!

P.S. I am running Mac OS X 10.4.5. Ghostscript 8.00 (8.53 would not
compile).