[Scribus] Fwd: Re: varia

Bjoern Schoepe bjoern.schoepe
Sun Mar 5 19:31:19 CET 2006

OK, now I finally was able to spend some time trying out your advices.
Well, let's see:

>>>  > But I had a couple of problems and wondered if they were "normal" or if
>>>  > it was just my inexperience..
>>>  > 1. I wanted to use medieval numbering. As the feature's implementation is
>>>  > work in progress (I appreciate very much!!) I wanted to use the search
>>>  > and replace tool in the editor and replace the numbers instead of the
>>>  > regular font with the special cap font. Manually done it worked. But
>>>  > replacing p.e. all 0s with the tool nothing changed. Has anybody
>>>  > experienced the same thing?
>>>
>>>  What do you mean by medieval numbering? You can use any font (that has
>>>  numbers) to use the automatic page numbering. Not sure to understand
>>>  your question here.
>> As medieval numbers I intend those povided by special caps. Indeed for page
>> numbering it is no problem because I just choose one font. But in the text
>> itself I have to combine two fonts, one normal for the whole text, and one
>> special caps font for the numbers. But with the search/replace tool I was not
>> able to substitute them. Anyway this is not so big a problem, normal numbers
>> wold work too.
>
> I am doing this often. It works fine here. I will go over the steps
> because we never know! Something might have just slipped... When you
> look for your number 1, the only field that is needed is the text
> field in the Search section. In the Replace section, you need to fill
> 2 fields. You look for the same number 1 in the Text field. But the
> font is different there. So you check the font and select the one
> right for you. Isn't it? It should work like a breeze, although it
> might take some time with long text.
>
> One extra hint to accelerate the Search/Replace process:
> You can do this in a text frame even though you do not see all your
> text in that text frame. The text is taken into account by Scribus
> nonetheless. It's only the frame that will show a crossed square in
> the lower right corner. Perform your Search & Replace operation in
> that frame containing all your text but not showing it. All the text
> will be processed and it will take much less time than if you do this
> after the text has been flowed into many pages.
>
>> Christoph: Thanks, so I will retry. The font has definitely different 0s as I
>> saw formatting one by hand!
>
> Please do. Christoph is right. Should work fine. Otherwise, for the
> sake of finding out, try another font that has the same numbering
> option. Might be a font problem. That's a good way to narrow down the
> issue.

I have chosen another font (also with special caps). My error beforse
had been that I indicated also on the search side the font. After doing
as Christoph suggested, some numbers got replaced - but others not and I
don't understand why. Then I tried it conferming every search result,
and those confermed manually indeed got formatted correctly. But
certainly for a longer text this is not possible to do. Well, in the end
it is not so important, I may expect the new feature in 1.4 or even earlier.

>>>  > 2. I wanted to manually lay out footnotes (I know, another feature in
>>>  > progress, I also appreciate very much!!) I did an indentation of all
>>>  > lines of a paragraph except the first. But then I had to use in the first
>>>  > line after the number a tabulator space (I hope you understand what I try
>>>  > to explain..). I clicked on the tabulator button in properties and set
>>>  > one. But using afterwards the tab it gave a much longer tabulator space,
>>>  > so also this did not work that way. Did I do something wrong?
>>>
>>>  Have a look in the Scribus wiki and look for list or bulleted list. You
>>>  should find exactly what you're looking for.
>>>  http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/How_to_create_lists_in_scribus_1.2x
>>>  (This is good also for 1.3.x)
>> Great, I will try this.

I'm not sure if I explained myself well because this actually I had done
yet (at least if I understand your howto correctly). The paragraph's
indentation is not the problem. But I don't get a tab space in the first
line to get it initiate consistently not after one space behind the
number (because using giustification spaces vary) but at let's say 5 mm.
  I don't understand what way tabs work in Scribus. I hit the tab and
saw that the text begun (with standard definition) at ca. 27.5 mm. Then
I assigned a tab at 5 mm to a certain paragraph style. Applying the
style to the paragraph the text now begun at ca. 28.5 mm!! It seems
quite strange to me.

>>>  > 3. Maybe the most basical thing, but I did not find anything in the bug
>>>  > database, maybe I did not use the right search words: in QuarkXPress or
>>>  > other DTPs you can create a text frame in the master page and after this
>>>  > applying the master page to the document inserting a text file
>>>  > automatically the textframes are filled up one by one. In Scribus
>>>  > creating a text frame in the master page does not work for me. I see just
>>>  > the lines but I have to insert the text frames manually, quite a work for
>>>  > a longer document.
>>>
>>>  In the first step when you create a new document, there is a check box
>>>  [auto text frame] in the New dialog. This is where you tell Scribus to
>>>  do what you want to achieve here. This text box will link automatically
>>>  to any new page inserted/created from the Page > Insert Page menu. It is
>>>  important to mention that Scribus does not yet add pages automatically
>>>  to accomodate a long text. But once you add those pages manually (you
>>>  can add as much as you can at once), the text will flow automatically
>>>  into the new pages.
>> Oh, adding pages is no problem, I might do this by hand, but fine I will try
>> this too. Another detail. When I work with two text frames on each page, one
>> for the main text, one for the footnotes (which I imported from the html
>> file), how do I separate the two frames in  way that the main text is
>> inserted only in the upper text frame and those for the footnotes remain
>> blank and after this copying and pasting the footnote text into the frame it
>> flows only in these frames? Maybe it's to compley as long as footnotes are
>> not supported.
>
> 1. Activate the auto text frame option in the New dialog
> 2. Working on an active page, add a frame for your footnotes
> 3. Go to Page > Duplicate Page ...
>
> The top frame is the one that is automatically created and linked to
> The bottom frame is not linked automatically. But you can easily link
> it to any other frame of your choice using the link tool in the upper
> bar.

OK, I just let footnote frames apart, might be a bit complicated for the
time being for me. I just created a new document, but in the dialog
there was no auto frame option. At least it is not the automatic column
option. Activated this I got something similar. Text flows from one
frame to another but each frame covers the whole page's area up to the
border. So I have manually to reorder them. But to create a text frame
of a certain measure just in the middle of the page I was not able to do.

Regards.
- -Bjoern.