[Scribus] varia

Craig Ringer craig
Sat Mar 4 12:48:32 CET 2006

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 2. M?rz 2006 18:48 schrieb Louis Desjardins:
>> This gives me the opportunity to say again how it would be useful to
>> have a Super Search & Replace into Scribus. For such tasks where you
>> need to do 10 Searches / Replacements in a row, looking after
>> 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 in such font and changing it to another... Why do 10
>> Searches? Why not do only one, with all the occurrences? Wouldn't that
>> be something?! *No other DTP app has this capability* (afaik)

This would really just take an extension of the regex support applied in
gettext into the S&R tool.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
 > PCRE? http://www.pcre.org/

It shouldn't be necessary - Scribus already uses Qt's built-in regex
support in other areas, and doesn't need an external regex library. As
you can see from the documentation at
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/qregexp.html, it's not as full-featured as
Perl/Python regex, but rather close. The main missing feature vis-a-vis
Perl is look-behind assertions, and the need for those can frequently be
worked around. Most folks won't know how to use them anyway ;-)

The Qt regexp class supports Unicode properly, adds no overhead or extra
dependencies, has safe memory handling (no manual buffer handling), and
is very easy to use. There's really no point in even considering
anything else.

--
Craig Ringer