[Scribus] Inscape 0.44 source released

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sat Jun 24 00:11:10 CEST 2006

Am Freitag, 23. Juni 2006 17:34 schrieb frank gaude':
> Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > for those of you who can't wait until the binary packes are out:
> >
> > The inkscape project has released the source code tarball of 0.44.
> >
> > Announcement:
> > http://www.inkscape.org/
> >
> > Download:
> > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/inkscape/inkscape-0.44.tar.gz?download
>
> The 'ticket to ride' for me was:
>
>    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/inkscape/inkscape-0.44.x86.package

I tried this for the first time too :)

> Amazing how these 'package' files makes think work handling dependencies.

It takes some time, but it's amazing indeed.

> Inkscape has come a long way, with Xara LX on its tail now. <smile>

Which is a good thing, since competition is good for the users (most of the
time). And as with Scribus, it's incredible what the guys over there are
achieving. 0.44 is a major leap forward. A look at
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes044 reveals that the
latest Inkscape has some real "firsts", e.g. implementation of SIOX algorithm
for traced bitmap files or the rendering of LaTeX formulas (Andreas,
something to observe?).

That reminds me: I think the UI of Inkscape and Scribus need some more
adjustment. Two examples: Scribus has a "Collect for output" function, which
is what most users will expect. Inkscape has now something similar, but it's
hidden in the "Save as" menu: Compressed Inkscape SVG with media. OTH, I like
the way the colour palette is implemented, especially the drag'n'drop of
colours and the drop down menu for different colour sets. This seems to be
something for Scribus to learn from.

I haven't had the time to test the new Inkscape in detail, but from what I've
seen, I am really, really impressed!

Christoph