[Scribus] Scribus Digest, Vol 40, Issue 32

Grant Bloedow grant
Tue Jun 20 17:47:10 CEST 2006

On Jun 20, 2006, at 5:36 AM, scribus-request at nashi.altmuehlnet.de wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:59:09 +0100
> From: Dave <dave at lab6.com>
> Subject: [Scribus] Design Processed: Blue Sky Scribus Ideas
> To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
>
> Hi All,
>
> As part of my Interaction Design degree at Ravensbourne College,
> London, I've prepared http://www.designprocessed.com - an essay on
> some 'blue sky' or 'what if...' ideas centered around Scribus.
>
> While of course not real features to put into the bugtracker, I would
> very much appreciate comments from anyone and everyone :-)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dave

Dave,

Great thinking. Your discussion is more on the design side of things
(which is in itself an interesting topic), but the concept of
scripting the creation of a file is really interesting.

I have looked at the file structures myself and thought about how I
might auto-generate documents with the knowledge of the basic file
structures. In my case, I would be building templates for blank
sheets of media labels. If I were to write a basic python script that
could take the placement/shape and size attributes of a label and
auto-generate a template file, I could use my product measurements
(in a data file) to create the files for me! The code may be useful
in the future as a 'super step and repeat' function or something
similar.

While I'm still far off from extending scribus in this way, I will be
glad to submit these back to the development for inclusion or use in
any way when I have some working code. Thanks again to the
development team.