[Scribus] fontconfig not working?

avox avox
Mon Jun 19 23:26:50 CEST 2006

Craig Ringer wrote:

> Short of having 300dpi monitors, I don't think we can provide accurate
> character shapes and positions *and* respect the user's antialiasing
> settings. Of course, with a 300dpi display, there'd be much less need
> for antialiasing anyway. I think Scribus makes the best trade-off if a
> single option has be selected. Maybe it'd be nice to be able to switch
> to native font rendering in future (direct use of freetype), though I
> can't imagine that being an easy thing to accomplish and I'm not sure
> it'd really be useful.
>
> Any other views would be welcome, but that's how I see it, and that's my
> understanding of why things are how they currently are.

I'd say you got it right, just one addition:
turning off antaliasing would *not* improve the text rendering.

The problem is that for clear text rendering at low resolutions you need
hinting, which moves and alters character shapes. Obviously, if you want
to have a 1:1 correspondence between screen and print output, this is
not an option. So Scribus (and apparently InDesign) turn off hinting and
use antialiasing instead.

/Andreas