[Scribus] Maintaining text with scribus

avox avox
Wed Jun 14 13:58:06 CEST 2006

Craig Ringer wrote:

> avox wrote:
>>
>> Asif Lodhi wrote:
>>> Also, what do you think about the idea of having the story-editor
>>> facility as a configurable option instead?  I mean the users being
>>> able to configure the editor of their choice as "the Scribus'
>>> Story-Editor" so that they get to edit their text in their favorite
>>> editors with all the facilities they want - that is, their favorite
>>> editor pops-up when they select the Scribus' story editor option.
>>>

>> Possible, but how would Scribus export the style information? And
>> import it back?
>
> This might sound easy, but there are types of styling information that
> Scribus understands but many other apps don't. As the 1.3.x series
> improves that gap in styling facilities will only grow. It's rather hard
> to round-trip styled text through an app that doesn't understand many of
> the styles you need.
>
> I'd love to hear suggestions on this one, as it'd also apply well to the
> external (linked) text ideas that've been floating around for a while.

One thing that comes to mind is XML+CSS. Maybe we should even try to get
the part for text content in the new Scribus file format as close as
possible
to XML+CSS, at least the XML part. CSS might be to limited for Scribus, but
this solution would allow editing styled text with plain editors, XML
editors
or WYSWIG editors (even if what you see is not exactly what Scribus will
give
you). On reimport Scribus would just match the CSS classes with its internal
styles.

/Andreas